Welcome to the Southwest School of Woodworking
As Arizona’s only comprehensive woodworking school, we offer a variety of classes for all levels of woodworkers—from novice to professional. Our school is located at 621 North 7th Avenue in downtown Phoenix, Arizona.
To honor our men in uniform there are two SCHOLARSHIPS available to veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. see details
SWSW Gift Certificates and Tee Shirts
The Southwest School of Woodworking is now offering gift certificates in any denomination. Gift certificates can be used toward any class, making this a perfect gift for any woodworker or aspiring woodworker.
We also have new SWSW logo t-shirts in men’s and women’s sizes and assorted colors. Men’s crew-neck pocket t-shirts are available in royal blue, sand, and heather grey in S, M, L, and XL. Women’s fitted crew-neck t-shirts are available in heather grey and pink in S, M, and L. All t-shirts are just $15 each.
Purchase gift certificates here or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
After two and a half great years at the Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery Facility, we have moved to a new location at 621 North 7th Avenue in Phoenix on the downtown campus of Rio Salado College.
Our new 5,000 square foot home includes two complete bench rooms, a lathe room for turning classes, a separate machine room for power tools, a gallery/library, and a spacious break room. With this additional space, we will be able to offer an even greater variety of classes. And the newly-installed air conditioning will allow us to hold classes all year.
WINTER 2016 Schedule
All listed classes are open for enrollment. Click on the highlighted class names for more information, or email email@example.com.
- Fundamentals of Traditional Woodworking II (C/E) Feb. 1 – 18, 6 pm – 9 pm
- Advanced Veneering (C/E), Feb. 22 – Feb. 26, 6 pm – 9 pm, Feb 28, 9 am – 5 pm
- Plane Making Workshop, (WKS), Feb. 13 & 14, 9 am – 5 pm
- Introduction to Inlay (C/E), Feb. 29 – Mar. 4, 6 pm – 9 pm
- Fundamentals of Traditional Woodworking III (C/E) Feb. 22 – Mar. 19, 6 pm – 9 pm
- Bookcase Workshop (WKS), Feb 20 & 21, 9 am – 5 pm
- Build a Chest of drawers (C/D), Mar. 7 – Mar. 11, 9 am – 5 pm
- Intermediate Inlay (C/E), Mar. 7 – 11, 6 pm – 9 pm
- Build a Classic Workbench (M/D), Mar. 14 – 18, 9 am – 5 pm
- Build a Sculpted Rocking Chair (M/D), Mar. 21 – Apr. 1
- Advanced Inlay (C/E), Feb. Mar. 14 – 18, 6 pm – 9 pm
- Shop Safety Clinic: by appointment
- Open Shop Time: by appointment
We had a great turn-out for our open house on Saturday, November 7, 2015.
Attendees were able to see our spacious new classrooms, meet our instructors, enjoy terrific woodworking demonstrations, and win some prizes. Representatives from Rockler and Woodcraft joined us to answer questions and give away some woodworking goodies.
Marco Cecala demonstrates inlay techniques. Photo: Glenn de Souza
Many thanks to the instructors who led the demonstrations: Jim Altman (gold leafing), David Fleming (hand-cut dovetails and mortise and tenon), J. Paul Fennell (turning hollow-form vessels), Marco Cecala (inlay), Doug Forsha (veneering), and Michael Fortune (furniture design) all kept us fascinated.
Thanks also to our friends from Lie-Nielsen Toolworks and Peterman Lumber for generously donating raffle prizes; to Rockler, Woodcraft, Woodworker’s Source, and Water Lox for contributing door prizes; and to Robbie Barrkman for underwriting the delicious barbecue lunch.
And congratulations to the raffle winners:
- Lie-Nielsen large router plane, donated by Lie-Nielsen Toolworks
– won by Craig R.
- 40 board-feet of premium cherry wood, donated by Peterman Lumber
– won by Paula G.
- Porter Cable pancake compressor
– won by Pete E.
- 10″ Delta Chop Saw
– won by Bruce R.
Thank you again to everyone who participated.
All classes are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. For details and to register, see the individual course listings.